Becoming Cloudy & Breezy with increasing showers (some heavy) & a possible thunderstorm/two. Due to High Seas (up to 8ft), sea-caution is strongly advised.
Danny becomes a tropical depression…
As of 8am, the center of Tropical Depression Danny is…
* Located: 15.9 N 61.5 W (+/- 160 miles SE of St. Maarten)
* Max. winds: 35mph
* Moving: W at 12mph
* Forecasted track: just south of St. Maarten today, if it continues on its present track — currently passing between Guadeloupe & Dominica
Tropical Storm Watch for: St. Maarten has been canceled
Tropical Storm Warning issued for: Saba and St. Eustatius
A Tropical Storm Warning means tropical storm conditions are possible within the warning area, in this case, within 24 hours.
Danny is forecast to continue weakening slowly (possibly dissipating by tonight). Additionally, even though Danny has been downgraded to a tropical depression, it is still expected to bring some rain & gusty winds to the North-eastern Caribbean — throughout the day.
We will continue to closely monitor its progress.
(Click images to zoom in)
Elsewhere in the Atlantic…
Two tropical disturbances have the potential to develop into a tropical cyclone (i.e. depression or storm) within the next few days.
1. High (90%) Chance in 48 hours, High (90%) Chance in 5 days
2. Low (10%) Chance in 48 hours, Low (20%) Chance in 5 days
We will continue to monitor their progress — especially the one behind Tropical Storm Danny (#1) — which could possibly develop into Tropical Storm Erika.
Schools closed today…
According to a Press Release from the Government of St. Maarten:
“ALL SCHOOLS are to remain CLOSED on MONDAY (24-Aug) due to the passing of Tropical Storm Danny.
Relevant authorities will be closely monitoring the situation, and official information about the school day of Tuesday (25-Aug) will be forthcoming as soon as possible.”
All Businesses closed today…
According to a Press Statement from the Prime Minister of St. Maarten:
“ALL BUSINESSES (including restaurants, casinos, and non-emergency government services) are to CLOSE today MONDAY (24-Aug) until further notice, as a precautionary measure. This is to safeguard life and property in the event things should change.”
Ariport remains open today…
According to a Press Release from PJIA:
“SXM Airport will remain OPEN today MONDAY (24-Aug), after following standard international safety measures related to the passage of a storm. Should the weather conditions change, the situation will be re-evaluated accordingly. Travelers should contact the respective airlines for flight information.
- SSS-Islands: St. Maarten = 18.0°N, 63.1°W | Saba = 17.6°N, 63.2°W | St. Eustatius = 17.5°N, 63.0°W
- Neighboring Islands: Anguilla = 18.2°N, 63.1°W | St. Barths = 17.9°N, 62.8°W | Antigua = 17.1°N, 61.9°W | Barbuda = 17.6°N, 61.8°W | St. Croix = 17.7°N, 64.7°W | St. Thomas = 18.3°N, 64.9°W | Tortola = 18.4°N, 64.6°W
- Remaining names for this year’s Atlantic Hurricane Season are: Danny, Erika, Fred, Grace, Henri, Ida, Joaquin, Kate, Larry, Mindy, Nicholas, Odette, Peter, Rose, Sam, Teresa, Victor, Wanda.
- Future Tropical updates will be sent out periodically (as needed).