Danny no longer a tropical depression…
As of 11am, the center of Danny’s remnants is…
* Located: 16.0 N 62.0 W (+/- 135 miles SSE of St. Maarten)
* Max. winds: 30mph
* Moving: W at 12mph
* Forecasted track: currently passing just south of St. Maarten
ALL Tropical Storm Watches & Warnings has been discontinued
Although Danny is no longer a tropical depression, its remnants is still forecast to bring some rain & breeze to the North-eastern Caribbean throughout the day.
(Click images to zoom in)
Elsewhere in the Atlantic…
Two tropical disturbances have the potential to develop into a tropical cyclone (i.e. depression or storm) within the next few days.
1. High (90%) Chance in 48 hours, High (90%) Chance in 5 days
2. Low (10%) Chance in 48 hours, Low (10%) Chance in 5 days
We will continue to monitor their progress — especially the one behind Danny’s remnants (#1) — which could possibly develop into Tropical Storm Erika.
Schools CLOSED today…
According to a Press Release from the Government of St. Maarten:
“ALL SCHOOLS are to remain CLOSED on MONDAY (24-Aug).
Relevant authorities will be closely monitoring the situation, and official information about the school day of Tuesday (25-Aug) will be forthcoming as soon as possible.”
All Businesses CLOSED today…
According to a Press Statement from the Prime Minister of St. Maarten:
“ALL BUSINESSES (including restaurants, casinos, and non-emergency government services) are to CLOSE today MONDAY (24-Aug) until further notice, as a precautionary measure. This is to safeguard life and property in the event things should change.”
Airport remains OPEN today…
According to a Press Release from PJIA:
“SXM Airport will remain OPEN today MONDAY (24-Aug), after following standard international safety measures related to the passage of a storm. Should the weather conditions change, the situation will be re-evaluated accordingly. Travelers should contact the respective airlines for flight information.”
- SSS-Islands: St. Maarten = 18.0°N, 63.1°W | Saba = 17.6°N, 63.2°W | St. Eustatius = 17.5°N, 63.0°W
- Neighboring Islands: Anguilla = 18.2°N, 63.1°W | St. Barths = 17.9°N, 62.8°W | Antigua = 17.1°N, 61.9°W | Barbuda = 17.6°N, 61.8°W | St. Croix = 17.7°N, 64.7°W | St. Thomas = 18.3°N, 64.9°W | Tortola = 18.4°N, 64.6°W
- Remaining names for this year’
s Atlantic Hurricane Season are: Erika, Fred, Grace, Henri, Ida, Joaquin, Kate, Larry, Mindy, Nicholas, Odette, Peter, Rose, Sam, Teresa, Victor, Wanda.
- Future Tropical updates will be sent out periodically (as needed).