Harbour View – On June 22, 2018, His Excellency the Governor of Sint Maarten, drs. E.B. Holiday, received the final report from formateur Theodore Heyliger.
The formateur has accepted the commission to form a new government supported by as broad a majority in Parliament as possible. Based on the coalition agreement signed on April 5, 2018 the new government is supported by the UD-fraction and the SMPC-fraction in parliament and consists of Ministers who are committed to the promotion of the wellbeing of Sint Maarten. The new government will in its governing program entitled: “Building a sustainable Sint Maarten” focus on rebuilding a vibrant economy, restoring a strong social fabric and promoting a resilient sense of community through the finalization and implementation of the national recovery and resilience plan in cooperation with the Netherlands and the World Bank. This includes giving priority to amongst others: employment, home repairs, the sanitary landfill, safety and security, disaster management and Kingdom relations.
Candidates for the various portfolios have been vetted based on the pertinent regulations regulating the pre-screening of candidates before nomination (National Decree Appointment procedure candidate Ministers and candidate Minister Plenipotentiary, May 22, 2013, No. LB-13/0442). The formateur has nominated the following persons for appointment:
- Leona Marlin-Romeo, Prime Minister and Minister of General Affairs;
- Cornelius de Weever, Minister of Justice;
- Perry Geerlings, Minister of Finance;
- Stuart Johnson; Minister of Tourism, Economic Affairs, Transport and Telecommunication;
- Wycliffe Smith, Minister of Education, Culture, Youth and Sports;
- Miklos Giterson, Minister of Public Housing, Spatial Planning, Environment and Infrastructure;
- Emil Lee, Minister of Public Health, Social Development and Labour;
- Jorien Wuite, Minister Plenipotentiary; and
- Michael Somersall, deputy Minister Plenipotentiary.
The Governor has scheduled the appointment and swearing in of the Ministers on Monday, June 25th, 10:00 hours, at the Governor’s Office. After the ceremony, the Governor and the newly appointed Ministers will have the constituting meeting at the Government Administration Building.