Harbour View – On March 1, 2018, the Governor of Sint Maarten, His Excellency drs. E.B. Holiday requested Mrs. Dr. R.J.A. Arduin and Mr. J.J. Beaujon to accept the appointment to take on the role of informateur to research the possibilities for the formation of a new government that is supported by the broadest possible majority in Parliament.
The appointment is a result of the consultations Governor Holiday held between February 27 and March 1, 2018, with leaders of the Political Parties that obtained seats in Parliament (the United Democrats, the National Alliance, the United St. Maarten Peoples Party and the Sint Maarten Christian Party), the president of Parliament, the vice chairperson of the Council of Advice and with the chairperson of the Central Voting Bureau.
The informateurs have been asked to include in their research an inventory of the policy plans of the Political Parties, and particularly their vision on:
- a sustainable reconstruction of Sint Maarten with priority for (a) the critical infrastructure, (b) the tourism sector, (c) the social infrastructure, (d) law enforcement and (e) public finances;
- the cooperation with the Netherlands and particularly the agreements made with the Netherlands and the World Bank in connection with the reconstruction fund;
- preparing Sint Maarten for the upcoming hurricane season;
- finding a sustainable and durable solution for the landfill and the problems of waste management;
- and the role of social partners in the reconstruction.
Furthermore the informateurs have been requested to involve all relevant stakeholders in the informationprocess.
The Governor requested Mrs. Arduin and Mr. Beaujon to submit their report by Monday March 12, 2018.