PHILIPSBURG, Sint Maarten — Member of Parliament (MP) Leona Marlin-Romeo on Monday, August 15th 2016, reminded the chair of Parliament that a response was not given from the Minister of Justice regarding to Sint Maarten’s signatory status of the Vienna Convention on Road Traffic and the establishment or reinforcement of St. Maarten’s rules on the acceptance of foreign drivers licenses since obtaining separate status.
The letter contained five pertinent questions that needs the Ministers attention, namely.
- Is Sint Maarten a signatory of the Convention?
- Has Sint Maarten created its own standards for accepting foreign driver’s licenses? For example that of all Caricom countries
- Has the Minister considered having drivers licenses fall under the authority of one Ministry?
- Has the Minister established the new International Drivers Licenses, established in the same Convention on Road Traffic?
- If not when will it be created? What has been the deterrence in offering persons with a valid driver’s license the possibility of an international driver’s license for international travel usage?