Cloudy & Windy with increasing showers (possible thunderstorms), high seas, and MAJOR FLOODING. Sea-caution (rough seas) & Road-caution (street-flooding) is strongly advised.
Tropical Storm Erika has NOT passed SXM as yet…
As of 8am, the center of Tropical Storm Erika is…
* Located: 16.5 N 62.7 W (+/- 90 miles SE of St. Maarten)
* Max. winds: 50mph
* Moving: W at 16mph
* Forecasted track: just south of St. Maarten this morning — currently passing just west of Guadeloupe
Tropical Storm Warning issued for: St. Maarten/St. Martin, Saba, St. Eustatius, St. Barths, Anguilla, Antigua, Barbuda, Montserrat, St. Kitts, Nevis, Puerto Rico, Vieques, Culebra, U.S. Virgin Islands, British Virgin Islands.
A Tropical Storm Warning means tropical storm conditions are possible within the watch area, in this case, within 24 to 36 hours.
Tropical Storm Watch issued for: Guadeloupe, north coast of the Dominican Republic (from Cabo Engano to Cabo Frances Viejo), southeastern Bahamas, Turks & Caicos Islands.
A Tropical Storm Watch means tropical storm conditions are possible within the watch area, in this case, within 48 hours.
The bulk of Tropical Storm Erika is now expected to turn northwest (i.e. TOWARDS the local region) — hence possibly bringing some heavy rain (possible thunderstorms), strong winds, high seas, and MAJOR FLOODING to the North-eastern Caribbean — throughout the day today.
(Click images to zoom in)
According to a Press Statement from the Prime Minister of St. Maarten:
“ALL SCHOOLS and BUSINESSES (including restaurants, casinos, and non-emergency government services) are to stay CLOSED on THURSDAY (27-Aug) — as a precautionary measure. This is to safeguard life and property due to the passing of Tropical Storm Erika.
All businesses are to stay closed, until the all clear has been given by the Prime Minister — after he makes his address at 12:00pm Thursday.”
Airport CLOSED today (until 11:30am)…
According to a Press Release from PJIA:
“SXM Airport will be CLOSED today THURSDAY (27-Aug), after following standard international safety measures related to the passage of a storm. Normal airport operations will resume, as soon as weather conditions permit. Travelers should contact the respective airlines for flight information.”
Stay tuned to our Facebook fan page for continual Hurricane Information.
- SSS-Islands: St. Maarten = 18.0°N, 63.1°W | Saba = 17.6°N, 63.2°W | St. Eustatius = 17.5°N, 63.0°W
- Neighboring Islands: Anguilla = 18.2°N, 63.1°W | St. Barths = 17.9°N, 62.8°W | Antigua = 17.1°N, 61.9°W | Barbuda = 17.6°N, 61.8°W | Montserrat = 16.8°N, 62.2°W | St. Kitts = 17.2°N, 62.6°W | St. Croix = 17.7°N, 64.7°W | St. Thomas = 18.3°N, 64.9°W | Tortola = 18.4°N, 64.6°W
- Remaining names for this year’
s Atlantic Hurricane Season are: Erika, Fred, Grace, Henri, Ida, Joaquin, Kate, Larry, Mindy, Nicholas, Odette, Peter, Rose, Sam, Teresa, Victor, Wanda.
- Future Tropical updates will be sent out periodically (as needed).