Persons with respiratory challenges advised to close windows and doors



GREAT BAY, Sint Maarten (DCOMM) – Part of the landfill on Pond Island is on fire.  Due to high winds the flames have flared up.

The Fire Department, is advising persons living downwind from the landfill fire, to close windows and doors.

Smoke can cause discomfort to persons who have a respiratory challenge, and for persons who suffer from asthma, shortness of breath, or any other respiratory challenges.

The Fire Department is monitoring the situation at the landfill on Pond Island and along with the Landfill Management Company, will take the appropriate measures necessary.