Danny breaking apart…
As of 11pm, the center of Tropical Storm Danny is…
* Located: 15.6 N 59.8 W (+/- 230 miles SE of St. Maarten)
* Max. winds: 40mph
* Moving: W at 15mph
* Forecasted track: just south of St. Maarten on Monday, if it continues on its present track
Tropical Storm Watch issued for: St. Maarten, Saba, and St. Eustatius
A Tropical Storm Watch means tropical storm conditions are possible within the watch area, in this case, within 36 to 48 hours.
Tropical Storm Warning issued for: Antigua, Barbuda, Montserrat, St. Kitts, and Nevis
A Tropical Storm Warning means tropical storm conditions are possible within the warning area, in this case, within 24 hours.
Danny is forecast to continue weakening (possibly becoming a Tropical Depression within the next 24 hours). Additionally, even though Danny is breaking apart, it is still expected to bring some rain & gusty winds to the North-eastern Caribbean — as of later tonight through Monday.
We will continue to closely monitor its progress.
(Click images to zoom in)
Schools closed tomorrow…
According to a Press Release from the Government of St. Maarten:
“ALL SCHOOLS are to remain CLOSED on MONDAY (24-Aug) due to the passing of Tropical Storm Danny.
Relevant authorities will be closely monitoring the situation, and official information about the school day of Tuesday (25-Aug) will be forthcoming as soon as possible.”
According to a Press Statement from the Prime Minister of St. Maarten:
“ALL BUSINESSES (including restaurants & casinos) are to CLOSE tonight SUNDAY (23-Aug) by 10:00pm until further notice, as a precautionary measure. This is to safeguard life and property in the event things should change.”
- SSS-Islands: St. Maarten = 18.0°N, 63.1°W | Saba = 17.6°N, 63.2°W | St. Eustatius = 17.5°N, 63.0°W
- Neighboring Islands: Anguilla = 18.2°N, 63.1°W | St. Barths = 17.9°N, 62.8°W | Antigua = 17.1°N, 61.9°W | Barbuda = 17.6°N, 61.8°W | St. Croix = 17.7°N, 64.7°W | St. Thomas = 18.3°N, 64.9°W | Tortola = 18.4°N, 64.6°W
- Remaining names for this year’
s Atlantic Hurricane Season are: Danny, Erika, Fred, Grace, Henri, Ida, Joaquin, Kate, Larry, Mindy, Nicholas, Odette, Peter, Rose, Sam, Teresa, Victor, Wanda.
- Future Tropical updates will be sent out periodically (as needed).