(CNN) Gunshots erupted at the Fort Lauderdale airport on Friday, leaving multiple people dead.
Authorities say the gunman, who appeared to be acting alone, is in custody.
Here’s the latest on what we know:
• Five people are dead, and 13 injured people were transported to hospitals, Broward County Mayor Barbara Sharief told CNN.
• Multiple reports on social media — including tweets from former White House spokesman Ari Fleischer — described the shooting.
• Gene Messina told CNN he’d arrived at the airport as people were being evacuated from the terminal.
“I got off the plane and I saw people running and screaming,” he said. “At first I was in shock but when I saw TSA agents running, I booked.”
• Investigators are looking into the gunman’s motive, Sharief told CNN. Investigators haven’t released his name or detailed the events leading up to the shooting.
• The shooting occurred in the baggage claim area of Terminal 2, officials said.
• Parts of the airport were evacuated. Aerial footage from CNN affiliates showed large groups of people standing outside on the tarmac.
• More than an hour after the shooting, officials had allowed people to return into the airport, but tensions were still running high, a witness told CNN.
“Everyone sprinted outside again. We are back out on the tarmac,” Judah Fernandez said, adding that it was unclear why people had rushed outside.
• Investigators say they’re looking into unconfirmed reports of additional shots fired on airport property. The TSA advised people at the airport to shelter in place.