“Track Map” of TS Erika…. Courtesy of Meteorological Department Curacao
Becoming Cloudy & Windy with increasing showers (some may be heavy) and high seas. Sea-caution & Road-caution is strongly advised.
Tropical Storm Erika = slightly stronger…
As of 5am, the center of Tropical Storm Erika is…
* Located: 16.8 N 61.5 W (+/- 105 miles ESE of St. Maarten)
* Max. winds: 50mph
* Moving: W at 16mph
* Forecasted track: just south of St. Maarten this morning — currently passing between Guadeloupe & Antigua
Tropical Storm Warning issued for: St. Maarten/St. Martin, Saba, St. Eustatius, St. Barths, Anguilla, Antigua, Barbuda, Montserrat, St. Kitts, Nevis, Puerto Rico, Vieques, Culebra, U.S. Virgin Islands, British Virgin Islands.
A Tropical Storm Warning means tropical storm conditions are possible within the watch area, in this case, within 24 to 36 hours.
Tropical Storm Watch issued for: Guadeloupe, north coast of the Dominican Republic (from Cabo Engano to Cabo Frances Viejo), southeastern Bahamas, Turks & Caicos Islands.
A Tropical Storm Watch means tropical storm conditions are possible within the watch area, in this case, within 48 hours.
Although the bulk of Tropical Storm Erika is now expected to stay south of the local region, it is still forecast to bring some rain (some heavy), gusty winds, and high seas to the North-eastern Caribbean — through the next 12 or so hours.
According to a Press Statement from the Prime Minister of St. Maarten:
“ALL SCHOOLS and BUSINESSES (including restaurants, casinos, and non-emergency government services) are to stay CLOSED on THURSDAY (27-Aug) — as a precautionary measure. This is to safeguard life and property due to the passing of Tropical Storm Erika.
All businesses are to stay closed, until the all clear has been given by the Prime Minister — after he makes his address at 12:00pm Thursday.”
Airport CLOSED today (until 11:30am)…
According to a Press Release from PJIA:
“SXM Airport will be CLOSED today THURSDAY (27-Aug), after following standard international safety measures related to the passage of a storm. Normal airport operations will resume, as soon as weather conditions permit. Travelers should contact the respective airlines for flight information.”
Stay tuned to our Facebook fan page for continual Hurricane Information.
- SSS-Islands: St. Maarten = 18.0°N, 63.1°W | Saba = 17.6°N, 63.2°W | St. Eustatius = 17.5°N, 63.0°W
- Neighboring Islands: Anguilla = 18.2°N, 63.1°W | St. Barths = 17.9°N, 62.8°W | Antigua = 17.1°N, 61.9°W | Barbuda = 17.6°N, 61.8°W | Montserrat = 16.8°N, 62.2°W | St. Kitts = 17.2°N, 62.6°W | St. Croix = 17.7°N, 64.7°W | St. Thomas = 18.3°N, 64.9°W | Tortola = 18.4°N, 64.6°W
- Remaining names for this year’
s Atlantic Hurricane Season are: Erika, Fred, Grace, Henri, Ida, Joaquin, Kate, Larry, Mindy, Nicholas, Odette, Peter, Rose, Sam, Teresa, Victor, Wanda.
- Future Tropical updates will be sent out periodically (as needed).